Oz's travels.

Click here to edit subtitle

Ok its time to get down to the nitty gritty about the inside of Troutbridge, all looked well until we lifted up a floorboard, A MDF floorboard. Phil and I both hate MDF and we agree that there WONT be any of that on Troutbridge! Well what we found underneath the floor was very wet horrible concrete. So one Saturday we got to work stripping the galley down to get a better look what's down under.

I lent a hand shoving stuff to the front.

What we found was an eye opener, I know what you will be saying now.... Why didn't you check this before you bought it.... well we didn't! 

Right lets get cracking...… cracking concrete that is! 

Under the step there was a the best bit of concrete I have ever seen.

It was like being on time team, closely looking at the different layers. 

Finally broke the back of it an got it cleared out.

Hard stuff removed now for the easy stuff. The funny bit... well wasn't funny at the time, Adam Holloway (one of Phil's boss) came down and sat on the step, Phil was chipping away at the concrete, one section in front of me and to your right looking at the photo. You know how water go's down the plug hole in a swirl... well Phil stabbed in with his screw driver and water came up in a swirl.... Adam Holloway very quickly abandoned ship... Phil's jaw dropped and he froze... I stood there cool and calm and studded the water that was appearing, it was clear, not like the green muck that we was floating on. The waters flow slowed down and stopped, Phil took a breath an started to move again. We then carried on an shifted the rest of the concrete from that section. Phil had hit a water pocket that was under the concrete.

We took a break and after a brew we cleared the rest of the galley area. Now that's looking better aint it...

You can see there was a lot of water sitting under that concrete, it looks like a beach with the tide in.  

Moving along the boat we lifted out the toilet area and cleared the muck from underneath.

Then took out the stove an dismantled the fire place.

This wasn't concrete, this was sludge!

You can see how wet it was, If we had left it, it would of stunk to high heaven and rotted out the new floor of the boat Andy had welded in. 

Now this bit was a lot drier, but still had to be cleared..... 

                                      "Phil..... get shifting my lad!"

OK.... here is we make a big jump in time. I could of filled another hole page with photos of the clear out.....


You join us at a point of clearing the last of the concrete out of the pointed bit...


                                  "Hay come on Phil, no time to take a nap!"

With the amount of concrete slab bits, we could have some seriously "CRAZY" paving.  

Down to the last and we gained help from Phil's brother Dave.

Dave soon chipped it out an after a break the red oxide paint tin was out.

Looking good.

Sadly time and the paint ran out of a great weekend, so I was on the internet that night ordering some more for Phil to crack on next weekend.

The paint arrived an Phil not just painted from where finished last week, he went over the hole boat again... good lad.
Next move was to paint galvanized paint the lower bit of the hull, then when dried spread bitumen on the floor to waterproof it in case of spillages. 

This... a bit grainy... photo showing the door you can just see that the door is hinged off a short-ish dod of wood down the right hand side. This left a gap along the bottom an up the right hand side. So needs attention.  

                   So first thing was to have it off...…. an then I took the door off! 

                              sorry.... I couldn't resist a classic innuendo there...